In the summer of 2014 I traveled to Iceland with a group of artists. I share my travelog, paintings and photos here. I returned to Iceland in the summer of 2016 and my stories continue.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Iceland:Through an Artist's Eyes Part 14 Reykjavik

'Morning Kaffi'           6x6            pastel          ©Karen Margulis
painting available for purchase $50
After a wonderful week in the red house of Stykkisholmur the workshop expedition came to an end. I was so glad I had decided to stay on for a week. So it was back to Reykjavik for me. I had reserved a room at Hotel Leifur Eirikson. It was the perfect choice. Located across the street from the landmark church Hallgrimskirkja, I would never get lost. I just needed to look for the tall church. My room was small but cozy. Breakfast was included and was ample and fresh. It was the perfect home base for exploring Reykjavik on my own.

Across from my hotel was Hallgrimskirja

My single room at Hotel Leifur Eiriksson


Except I wasn't really alone! I was happy to discover that my new friends from the workshop Christine and Riley would also be in Reykjavik. We had dinner with Christine before she had to leave and Riley and I met up several times over the week to explore together. We spent quite a bit of time (and kronur) in the local art shop. It was a wonderful little shop filled with all kinds of art and craft goodies. I bought some Icelandic stone beads to make my own souvenir bracelet. Riley bought a set of Caran d'Ache Museum watercolor pencils. They were wonderful and I had to go back and get a set for myself. I spent many happy hours sketching in the local coffee shops...coffee, cakes and great people watching...what could be better?

Stones from Iceland

I spent 5 days in Reykjavik and I was glad I had the luxury of time. So often when I travel I have limited time at each stop on my journey. There is never enough time to truly get to know a place.  Having plenty of time (in between my tours) allowed me to slow down and notice things that I might have passed by on a short stay.

I switched cameras when I got to Reykjavik. I decided to use my small Canon digital Elph...my trusty old camera with the bad screen. It is small and would allow me to be inconspicuous as I took candid shots. I would have loved to be invisible. It was the people that intrigued me. The little vignettes of life in the city...tourists and locals going about their business. Snapshots of life in Reykjavik were what I was after. I walked up and down the hilly streets looking for little moments in time. What fun I had!




Kid friendly city...sidewalk chalk and hoola hoops!


The colors and shapes of the buildings were also wonderful. And the windows! Most every window had some kind of arrangement of knickknacks on the sill. They were like little works of art and reflected the spirit of the resident. Windows were filled with elves, flowers, books and the occasional cat. I found the windows just as fascinating as the people.  Motifs of a wonderful little city by the sea. I will be back!




Today's painting was inspired by one of my candid photos. It is on black Artagain paper and is 6x6.
My travelog is coming to and end with just 2 chapters remaining. I appreciate all of the wonderful comments I have received. If you would like to catch up and read the other chapters you can find links to all on my Pinterest board HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment